Implicit Bias Training for Medical Staff & Doctors
Implicit Bias Training for
Physicians & Medical Staff
mplicit bias training for doctors and medical staff is a smart investment in reducing overall liability & complaints while improving patient satisfaction and successful health outcomes.
Understanding how to handle unconscious bias is a critical leadership skill for today’s healthcare professionals. Everyone, from clinical to administrative staff, can develop great leadership skills and play a role in fostering an inclusive culture.
Our training focuses on building real-world, actionable skills that foster a culture of respect and harmony. We base our techniques on solid data and solutions developed by psychologists.
Implicit bias training not only ensures the doctors deal with patients in an empathetic manner that fosters an enhanced patient experience; it also facilitates a respectful and harassment-free workplace for the physician, nurses, and other hospital staff.
Implicit Bias Training Benefits:
- Have an increased sense of their own biases and a plan for continued self-education
- Be able to identify implicit bias and microaggressions
- Have an increased understanding of power dynamics and privilege, and the barriers they create professionally and medically
- Establish a foundation for healthy interaction between staff and patients
- Reduce negative online reviews from former staff and patients
- Build greater inclusion, equity and appreciation for diversity
- Improve patient satisfaction and outcomes
- Improve patient satisfaction and outcomes
- Communicate more professionally and effectively with co-workers & patients
- Reduce legal liability by documenting implicit bias training
- Learn how to interrupt bias personally and as an organization
- Learn communication skills that can remove perceived insensitivity before it begins
- Reinforce your hospital or practice’s policies
- Ensure that your policies regarding patient care are understood and followed
- Strengthen your online reputation management program
Factors such as our ethnicity, gender, religion, etc., all create our own personal identity. Some of these identities people can easily see (such as race), while other identities are not so easy to see (such as disability or education level). Some examples of personal identities & special groups we address in training:
- Sexual orientation / LGBTQ
- Socio-economic status
- Political affiliation
Group Sessions / Remote Training AvailableGroup sessions spanning 2 days in small workable blocks. Role playing involved, interpersonal analysis. Great to quickly address all members of an organization to keep everyone focused on building an environment of inclusion. Requires the use of a projector and laptops for Implicit Association Testing (IAT).
Defining implicit bias
Describe how the brain uses shortcuts and schema to process stimuli
Explain how attitudes, stereotypes and biases form
Differentiate between explicit and implicit biases
Understand the common forms of bias
Identify special groups / personal identifiers
Describe ways in which implicit bias can impact our actions
II. Self Assessment
Assess implicit biases (self assessment)
Recognize situations wherein you are more prone to the influence of bias
Recognize external factors that make you more prone to the influence of bias
Evaluate whether you are being influenced by bias (Implicit Association Test [IAT])
Understanding awareness and humility
III. Interrupting Bias
Managing the influence of implicit bias
Mindfulness and conscious de-biasing
Learn ways to minimize the influence of implicit bias
Roleplaying & scenario exploration
IV. Policy & Legal Review
Understand the legal liabilities of insensitivity, discrimination and bias
Communicate & review hospital or practice policies during implicit bias training for doctors
Identify state and federally protected groups
Learn the steps necessary to establish the correct workplace environment
Develop an individual action plan to increase inclusivity & interrupt bias in the workplace
We conduct these sessions LIVE, this is NOT a quick boilerplate course. We customize our training around your policy and goals, as well as patient populations you may serve frequently.
We provide a formal, written assessment of each attendee at the end of the training, and your attendee & organization will receive a certificate of completion.
What our clients say? all testimonials
We have used PRM for community relations for a year now, and it’s increased our new clients from physician referral by at least 10 per month.
We love our new website! Our patients say it’s easier to find us and schedule appointments online.
PRM has done an amazing job promoting our business to referring physicians nationwide, we’ve tripled our new client referrals over the past two years.
Request More Information