Physician liaison marketing can be a huge boon to your practice, accelerating your long-term referral growth. However, many practices struggle to manage their physician liaisons and marketing programs, for several reasons.
- Management cost: physician liaison marketing programs require strong management. You may opt to have someone already on your team do this, but that will ultimately take them away from what they were originally hired to do. You may also need to hire a manager dedicated to the program. You should expect to pay anywhere from 60-80k for a strong physician liaison program manager. Without a manager, your liaison may struggle to stay focused, consistent, and provide reporting that shows improvement and value.
- Physician Liaison cost: you should expect to pay anywhere from 50-100k for an experienced physician liaison. Additionally, you need to budget around $500 per month for additional program expenses. Keep in mind that this individual will likely expect mileage reimbursement, commission and/or bonuses, and health benefits.
- Tracking & Accountability: physician liaisons do not belong in the office; they belong in the field. Your manager needs to have a strong handle on how to manage someone who operates remotely, and unless you have specific tools to track their work, you’ll need to trust that they are going where they say they’re going.
- Reporting & KPI’s: You’ll need to figure out what you should measure and track for a physician liaison marketing program to work. Is it enough to just see who they’ve talked to every week? How do you match the referrals coming in to the work your physician liaison has performed?
As you can see, there’s much more to a successful physician liaison marketing program than simply hiring someone with a solid background.
Your other option is to outsource physician liaison marketing to a reputable company. We are one of the few companies to provide managed physician liaison services under the umbrella of a full-service healthcare marketing agency. We provide professional practice representatives to represent your specialty practice. We train and manage our practice reps, ensuring they have passed several tests on Stark, HIPAA, and Sunshine Act. We test them and only allow those who pass a sales aptitude test to proceed to represent our clients. Our management team monitors their daily activity, and we provide comprehensive reporting to show what’s working and where our best opportunities exist.
Why Should You Outsource Your Physician Liaison Marketing to PRM?
- Experience: we only bring on physician liaisons who have a strong background interfacing with physician offices. They may be former pharma or medical device reps, nurses, or liaisons.
- Value Proposition: we craft introductory value proposition collateral marketing material so that the physician liaison always has a ‘leave behind’ with the potential referral source
- Marketing Material: as a full-service advertising agency we are able to rapidly develop marketing material to support the physician liaison marketing program for best results
- Training: we provide all the up-front training and on-going training that your physician liaison needs to be successful and abide by the law
- Management: we manage the liaison through all stages of the engagement, and our manager becomes an extension of your practice in the same way that a liaison does
- Tracking: we use sophisticated software that digitally monitors the liaison to ensure they are going where they say they’re going, and providing all necessary information from followup calls, faxes, and emails
- Reporting: we provide comprehensive monthly reporting that details business intelligence the liaison has uncovered, as well as provides an overview of where we are in the lifecycle of outreach
- Followup: our managers followup with your liaison at all steps of the outreach marketing effort, and coordinate with you on anything special they need to promote
- Event Management: our team manages all events that are put together through our physician liaison marketing program, including speaker events and lunches
- One Fee: we simplify billing by making the program one fee for physician liaison marketing, which can provide serious cost savings in comparison to hiring directly, implementing software tracking, and allocating budget to a manager
If you’ve considered implementing a physician liaison marketing program, now is the time! Contact us today for a brief assessment and quote.